Sunday, August 27, 2006

The Name

One of the most important decisions an expectant parent has to make is what to name his or her child. When my husband, Danny, and I found out that we were going to have a baby, one of the first things we did was to start thinking about names.

It was fun, but at times pretty frustrating. Our conversations would go something like this: (I'm 'P' )

P: What about Mary?

D: Nah. I lived across the street from an ugly girl named Mary.

P: O.K. How about Susannah?

D: I don't like that song.

P: I really like the name Natalie.

D: The girl who dumped me the night before Senior prom was named Natalie. I spent $5000 on therapy to get over that. Not an option.

P: Well then.....(I"m starting to get frustrated-) Christina's a nice name. Whaddaya think?

D: My cousin already took that name. Next.

P: Good night.

D: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ


We didn't definitely decide on our daughter's name, Elizabeth, until the last minute. It was a name that we both liked alot. It's classic and beautiful and has lots of cute nicknames if we decide to go that way.

Her middle name, Adell, was even harder to choose. I always wanted it, but Danny wasn't sure. Toward the end of my pregnancy he told me that he wanted to name our daughter Adell because he remembered that I had told him a couple of years ago that I had a dream that I had a daughter and named her happy. He looked it up and Adell means joyful. So Elizabeth Adell it was. Pretty cool.

2 comments:

LBC said...

I like the name Bianca, from Shakepeare's Taming of the Shrew, but I figure kids would tease and call her Bi.

If we have a boy, we are totally set with names.

If we have a girl, not so much.

Patti's MomBlog said...

It's so hard to pick a name. It's such a big decision. The kid is stuck with it for life. Someone has already pointed out to me that people might call Elizabeth "Lizard Breath." I didn't even think of that one. Sighhh.